January 20, 2035 - Ten Years, to the Day, Kamala Harris Was Sworn In

 SHORT SHORT FICTION BY JANE GENOVA

 "I got tickets the the Harris Inauguration, Dad. I can fly you in."

Of course, Robert was showing off. It was one of those "Look at me." At the time, maybe he was working at Covington or Paul, Weiss. 

The two of us never liked each other. 

Awful, the relief I could feel through the phone when I said "no."

Four years later I had to go. Not-all-that-ambitious Walz had decided to pack it in after one term. My son took his place. 

"I am proud of you, son." That's what he wanted to hear. That freed me up not to be on any telepathic wave length with him while I was in D.C. 


I wanted my wiring to be entirely open to "read" so many of those others strutting around. I am a psychic, quite a successful one. That was before that niche, like Hollywood, management consulting, content-creation, graphic arts and tech, became glutted.

The "it" about Robert showed up before his birthday party as he was heading into age 7. When it came to the invitations he was totally strategic. What attendees would yield the most significant ROI? Variables had to be factored in like access to a bike if his were broken. And what about protection for his lunch money? My other son Paul, born two years later, was not such a disappointment.

Since January 20, 2025, life has not been cruel. I and my cronies at one of those paranormal societies here in Tucson, Arizona still have our Society Security, with nice-size COLAs, at least for now. 

After that worse-than-the-1929 global depression, the GOP got right back in, of course. I have to say that I did not rejoice at my son's setback. I tried to write it off for him with a quip, "You were the president's Betty Ford, her number-one asset."

Medicare is also still here. Thank you, Robert. Also, thank you, Harris for getting better at politics and not being threatened by smart players.

Even before 2030, when all of us boomers crossed that line to 65, employers wouldn't dare play cute with age discrimination. I applied for a gig managing the shopping carts in the supermarket lot and got it. I cried when the store manager presented me with a cake on my 84th birthday. I gave her a free Tarot reading. Unfortunately, the relationship picked up a bit of a chill after that. Maybe I should be more strategic, like Robert.

The out-of-box thinkers Harris hired used shipping containers for tiny houses. Metro areas came back to life after homelessness went away or maybe back underground. There is that old joke in Manhattan: If the rats stay in the basement and don't jump into your lap when you're dining at the restaurant things are all-good. 


They became all-good until the clowns in alternative investing overshot their headlights. 

"Dad, don't talk like that." Robert and I were getting along better. He laid into me when I admitted I was ready to pass over now that the GOP was in-place. Perhaps for a long time. They learned much when in the wilderness for eight years. 

Robert thought I meant I was afraid they would yank Social Security and Medicare and "make them" fire me at the supermarket. I had confided in Robert - I knew he would enjoy the story told at my non-strategic expense - how I wasn't smart letting the store manager know I was woo-woo. 

"I will give you whatever you need." He was now back in the money at a law firm. Was it Kirkland & Ellis or Dentons? It could have been Jones Day which was wildly expanding. You know, revolving door and that shit.  

That hurt me. Robert saw it. I heard the crack in the foundation of our new relationship.



Never has it been about money. It's about feeling that the rats are getting ready to navigate up from the basement. I am not safe. Robert, he's different. He can always create safety for himself. I fear too for son Paul. He is so much like me.

Jane Genova's novel "The Fat Guy From Greenwich" ranked #30 on Amazon. She has also published several nonfiction books including "The Critical First Years of Your Professional Life."

***********************************

Jane Genova * Tarot Card Reader * Intuitive Coach * Medium.

Opening Yourself to Inner Peace, Self-Love and New Success

Deep Listening and Compassion.

For an appointment, please contact janegenova374@gmail.com or text/phone 203-468-8579.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Painful Long Half-Life of Trauma: Did Prince William Marry His Mother?

The Elite Psychics - Cassanda Vanzant Provides Solution for Getting Clarity, Finally

J. Michael Cline's Pain